Tuesday, October 26, 2010

42 weeks

it's been an rough couple of days. Our dog pan is not feeling well. She woke us up at 4 or 5 in the morning with her painful yelps. Right now she is lying on my lap at 7am. We originally scheduled to put her down this Wednesday but may have to do it sooner. It's the last thing we wish to do but we can't continue to see her in pain. She's a cute little shih tzu over 21 years old. She's probably the oldest dog at our vet.

Originally she belonged to my hubby and he picked her up from a Boston animal shelter home in his college days. While my husband and I first dated, he use to bring her with him to nyc. That was when she was able to see. I remembered how she managed to find a small patch of grass that was surrounded by a iron fence and squeezed her butt through to poop the way she wanted to. She has been with us on countless trips to Montreal and to New York. Though she couldn't see anymore, she would still come through the doorways and check on us to see if we were there. She couldn't eat on her own so I fed her banana gerber baby food with a syringe feeder. She loves bananas. It's time to let her go and we will miss her so dearly. Thank you for bringing much joy and love. We love you.

Update

So I've been meaning to write a quick update on Madison. I can't believe she's 42 weeks! I realize some people still give birth at that gestational age. She is growing big and weighing at 6 lbs and 8 oz! She took her first bottle Oct. 21st at 8 am. The surgeons did their rounds and felt that Madison is doing so well that they were going to move her to the pediatric floor. I received a voicemail yesterday at 2:30 pm and they were in the process of packing her things. I rushed in to speak to the drs and surgeons and felt strongly about transferring her back to the other nicu. I want Madison to receive the best neonatal care and disagreed that Madison should be transferred to a floor with older children. I've been challenged as a new mom to a 26 weeker, learning ways to help her meet her developmental milestones. Today we were planning press Madison's foot imprints into clay. Since most people would say she is 2 weeks old corrected or adjusted.


it's 8 am and we just received a call from the vet. they confirmed that our dog is scheduled at 5:30 pm today. Please pray that God will make it easy for both hubby and I. And that she will pass away comfortably.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for your family...

    As to Madison, I would push for her to be in a NICU not a Peds unit. She is a very preterm baby, in spite of her "full term" age right now. NICU docs and nurses know how to deal with the things that come up from time to time. Praying God will be with you as you talk to hospital folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your dog. My parents had to put out family dog down shortly after my first loss. In a weird way, I felt comforted with the thought of my dog and my baby being in the same place (as silly as that may sound).

    As for Madison...go with your gut...but trust God and your doctors. I understand the desire to have her stay in the NICU as a "just in case" sort of scenario. But on the other side of things, if she is coming home soon, perhaps this could be a good "transition". Just a thought--and you clearly know her situation and the hospital so much better than me. Either way, I continue to pray for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your dog.

    Glad to hear that Madison is doing so well. I think of you both often. Praying everything continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete