
It's a girl!
This weekend we celebrated Mother's day in NYC. It was nice to spend a few days with my family and worked out perfectly because my hubby had a business trip there. I went to my dentist appointment and got my temporary crown from my root canal done about a few weeks ago. The very same day, I met with a very nice couple to give them a design consultation on their wedding invitations at the Chelsea Market T Salon. Then we ventured off to 18th street and discovered a street fair. We decided to eat there and sit outside in the nice shade. Afterwards, we trekked over to farmer's market in Union Sq. and bought my mom a blueberry bush to add to her garden for Mother's day. On our way back to the car we discovered 'cupcake cafe'. Their cupcakes are so delish! And suddenly had ideas to custom order my baby shower cake there. Desserts is one way to keep my mind off stress. =) Later that evening my brother and sis-in-law came down for Mother's day dinner. We celebrated at East Pacific restaurant. I never ate so much in my life! We left Sunday morning and drove back to Boston. Later that evening I had the runs... I was so worried because my stomach was cramping. So I drank lots of water and immediately went to bed. The next morning I felt a little better but thankfully I had my routine dr's appt. on Monday. My dr. said not to worry about it and if the diarrhea continues for a few days then he recommended to call in. But it finally went away Tues. morning. By that time I was excited and nervous because we were due for our ultra sound.
I'm 18 weeks and 1 day today and we went to the Maternal Fetal Medicine dr's office yesterday to get a full body-scan ultra sound. And to finally find out what our lil' bean will be? This is my hubby's 2nd u/s visit and I can see a big smile on his face even though it was 8am in the morning. They also measured my cervix to make sure the cerclage stitch is shut and it's still tight. I'm so thankful and every day is a milestone for me. My hubby and I were very excited but still nervous.
Before I thought I won't plan my baby shower or decorate the baby room. But honestly I have to keep myself occupied and think of only happy thoughts. Ever since I found out I was pregnant I was very careful not to overdo anything or do anything strenuous. I remember my 1st two pregnancies I was stressed out during work and always busy. I finally decided to listen to my body and rest when I need to. Every once in awhile I'm inspired to cook something new. Usually it's desserts but this time I baked quiche. I felt challenged because I never made homemade crust before. I always use to stare at the food network channel in amazement. So! I'm sharing with you a recipe that worked for me.
Buttery Flaky Pie Crust
Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening, chilled
3 tablespoons ice water
Directions
Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium size bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in the cold shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water over flour. Toss mixture with a fork to moisten, adding more water a few drops at a time until the dough comes together.
Gently gather dough particles together into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
Roll out dough, and put in a pie plate. Fill with desired filling and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
Tip: Use a fork to make holes everywhere on the pie dough to avoid the dough from rising.
Quiche Recipe
1 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (part-skim)
1/4 cup diced onions
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 red pepper diced
4 large eggs
2 cups of fat-free milk (preferable cream)
*if using milk - use 2 table spoons of corn starch & whisk very quickly in separate cup to avoid clumping.
1 teaspoon salt
1 tomato diced
2 scallions thinly sliced
(optional - you can add any additional ingredients as you desire ie. bacon, ham, mushrooms, etc.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread the cheese over the bottom of the unabked crust. Then spread the diced onions, peppers and tomato on top of the cheese. Whisk the cream or fat-free milk on high speed. Add the cream or milk slowly while continuing to mix on high speed.
Pour liquid over onions, peppers and tomatoes very carefully and evenly. Then spread another layer of cheddar cheese on top. Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt. Place quiche in oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes. (Check oven at 40 minutes).
Tip: The more you whisk the eggs, the fluffier the quiche will be.
*If you're using milk to avoid the quiche from being too watery, check with a fork to see how well it's cooked. I used the fork while it was baking to spread the contents for even cooking. Also after 40 min. of baking quiche I decided to cook at 300 degree F and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before slicing. And Voila! You have a quiche.
I was so pleased with the results, I had to share the recipe.
(photo taken from my kitchen today. I recommend baking in an oven-safe dish or tart pan made of tin.)

Yay! Another girl! I'm so glad to hear that you and Baby Girl are doing well. I swear I can even "hear" your relief and joy in the tone of your post. I'm glad that you had such a great time in NY. By the way, can you drink/use the water again?
ReplyDeleteWoohoo Team Pink!! Baby girls are taking over the world! So happy you are doing well.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your daughter!!!
ReplyDeleteyay a girl! (although I would have said Yay a boy! too lol) What a beautiful picture of your daughter!
ReplyDeleteWhat a pretty little baby girl! Congratulations!
ReplyDelete