Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Terrible Two's

It's 4:25 am and I can't sleep. To top things off in just less than 5 hours she will have ISFP evaluation by Early Intervention. Yesterday I had a rough case of the terrible two's. Madison is crying more often then not and half the time I'm not sure why? There's bit of frustration on the communication part. All I know is it's been getting worse this past week. So Madison will turn two early July so I guess I can't complain because for the most part she's been a good girl. It's been an interesting week. Since Madison was born under two pounds she qualifies for Early Intervention. Last Thursday she had her evaluation and it was definitely emotional time for me because it's the first time Madison is being tested for her skills. This exam is determine whether she will continue services to help her catch up with her full term developmental age. I guess that is when I started asking questions to myself like, "Should I be teaching her that?...Am I good parent?...What should we be working on now?" I think everything I was thinking and feeling was natural. Things I've recently been frustrated with is Madison has become a picky eater. Cries out of the blue. Is needy for attention. Doesn't listen. Throws things. Runs all over the place & she thinks I'm playing a game of chase. There's much more but I guess this is called the Terrible Two's. I realize she needs structured learning and E & I are doing everything we can to work on this. I mentioned last time I was thinking about getting a sand & water table. I searched all over craigslist and found an awesome step 2 nature play set for everything for $55 but I didn't hear back from the seller. The more I thought about getting her a sand & water table set...the more I realized I wanted to create an learning creative environment. This took me 2 days of research. The first day of research I discovered a little tikes butterfly that came with a umbrella canopy & was portable. I loved how the wings opened up and you can fill it up with sand & water. I thought this was great because you can also bring it to the beach without having to worry about your little one getting sunburned. Then I saw wonderful DIY tutorials on making your own like this or that. The one that really impressed me is this one family who created a L shaped table with lids. I started changing my research on how to discipline your toddler. And looking at anything that will help Madison receive structured learning & fun too. About 2-3 weeks now I've been looking into daycare centers but this will take some time. I also feel she doesn't have to go full time but it's important for her go for social interaction & peer learning. This is a whole topic in it of itself. But I finally created a routine list for Madison. 1. Wakeup & Washup 2. Breakfast (create menu for the week) 3. Arts & Crafts (maybe snack juice time) 4. Reading Time 5. Play Outside ie playground 6. Lunch 7. Naptime (maybe snack juice time) 8. Family Time 9. Dinner (maybe play time) 10. Washup (Bath time) Good Night! Here are 2 sites I thought may be helpful at New Mommy and ehow. 5 Benefits of Toddler Routine Schedule After all this research I decided to go get some bins at the container store to create a sensory table of fun indoor & outdoor activities. And not just water & sand! Ok...well finally let me share some good news. On Saturday, we had a nice family day trip to Newport, Rhode Island to celebrate my birthday. We bought Madison an old fashion school desk at an antique store that was closing in 2 days. That day we had a feast at the Barking Crab. E bought me a white lace top from the Jack Wills store. They are a U.K. store & there's only 11 in the U.S. What a fabulous find! Also another fun discovery of boutique shopping was a natural skincare store called farmasthetics. E bought me the lavender milk lotion and it was such a treat to get a free exfoliating powder of orange + lavender peel. I was just discouraged about the ingredient called borax which decreases fertility. I plan to exchange for another product but I was glad I was in research mode and looked up the ingredient. You never would think a natural mineral, an organic product would cause such a problem. At the end of the trip we picked up 2 cupcakes at cupcake charlie's. You can see the demolished cupcake above. I would have to say they were the best cupcakes I ever tasted next to bread & chocolate's. Just right before I took this photo Madison threw the cupcakes on the sofa and cried. Ahhh...the terrible two's. =) if anyone has any advice to give i'm willing to listen.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have much advice as Addy seems to be doing the same things. She will be 2 in July & has been this way for at least a month. She has great communications skills & is still having fits, crying, misbehaving & all the other issues you're having, so it's got to be the age. Just know you are not alone & are doing a great job w/her!

    As for the picky eating thing we dealt w/that for almost 2 months. My biggest piece of advice is DO NOT give in! I know it is so hard. It is our job to feed & nourish our children & when they don't eat you feel like you're failing. But Addy would go to bed w/out dinner 3-4 nights a week & I refused to be a short order cook & make her something separate or let her eat the garbage she wanted. If she was really hungry she would eat. Suddenly, she started eating again & now I still have one of the best eaters in my mommy group. HTH.

    ReplyDelete