Thursday, November 4, 2010

43 weeks and 2 days (almost 4 months!)



*photos: the pink brown outfit was taken on 10/18 and the pink waffle knit was taken today. See how fast she's grown in just a few weeks!

It's been a rough week since Madison has stopped feeds again for 3 days now. She is growing on just pn parental nutrition and omegavin (which is exclusive to children's hospital). Today she weighs 6 lbs and 16 ounces. I can see her character and personality beginning to form. This coming Saturday she will be exactly 4 months old). So currently she is 3 weeks and 2 days corrected or adjusted. Sometimes it gets confusing for us too but the corrected or adjusted is a term they use for preemies based on their 40 wk due date.

Today I helped the nurse roll Madison's hospital crib to radiology and she took a barium xray. They insert a catheter into her bum with a color dye and took an xray of her intestines. Doctors are questioning if there's a stricture in her small intestine. Today's exam only captured the large intestine/colon. She will continue to be off feeds until they can figure out what's wrong with her. However, they have to wait for the barium to be expelled from her body before they can do another exam so there's no confusion between the new and old barium.

This afternoon she pooped all the barium out and wet through her clothes. We were wondering why she was so fussy! I gave her a sponge bath and she settled down with her favorite binky. Please pray that Madison has no strictures and is able to tolerate feeds once they feel it's safe for her to be fed again. Their goal is to gradually increase her feeding and get off the PN (parental nutrition). Being on PN too long can cause liver damage. However the omegavin is as soy based lipids that prevent liver damage. Since it's only being offered at children's I really feel blessed that Madison can receive this. I hear many parents travel here just to give their babies the treatment.

Also, I haven't been feeling well lately. Today the doctor called to confirm I have a bladder infection so I'm taking medication. Please pray that my body will heal soon so I may be able to take careof Maddie.

ps- I was so proud of Maddie yesterday she hit the mobile. Whether it's by accident or not, I thought it was so cute. She's starting to practice her motor skills and like's grabbing mommy's fingers. Last week we practiced holding her head up. She also enjoys the bouncy swing. She's so curious and loves sitting upright and looking around.

2 comments:

  1. She's so beautiful! I've said it before, but it's still so true--her eyes are so expressive! I'll be praying for her and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Janet she is getting so big!! I am praying for your family daily & hope that she will be able to eat again soon. I also hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete