First of all...I want to thank everyone for the encouraging messages and prayers. This is a tougher journey than I thought it would be. Being pregnant is hard enough but to hang onto a 1.5 cm cervix length and some funneling is scary. I'm counting my blessings each day. And the first thing I did this morning when I woke up was put my hand where my baby girl is and thanked God for hearing my prayers. So I have 10 more days before doctors can do anything.
Most of you already know I was admitted into the hospital to be monitored overnight. They put iv fluids and gave me medication for uti just in case. The culture test came back negative so i stopped taking medicine. They hooked me up to an electronic fetal monitor which are 2 bands connected to my belly to check on the baby's heart rate and any signs of contractions. The problem is that these fetal monitors are really designed for full-term babies so it may not be able to detect my contractions this early. So I was sent home early afternoon on Wed. with orders of strict bed rest and only getting up to go to the bathroom.
I have to drink at least 8-10 cups of water daily. But that means I have to run to the bathroom every hour! I keep praying every time I get home that my baby girl will hang in there and not put any pressure on my cervix. Dr's prescribing me bed rest because they are worried about the gravity and weight / pressure put onto my cervix. And with such little left, it's such a huge risk. The reason why we have to drink so much water is to prevent contractions. But I also heard that holding it also causes contractions. I just have to be in-tune with my body.
So the reason why they released me is because there's nothing doctor's can do because gestationally it's too early. At the time I was 22 weeks and 2 days. They said I had to wait 2 weeks before I receive any treatment. At 24 weeks they can do 2 things. Take a labor test which is called an (ffn) fetal fibronectin to determine if i will go in labor with 7 days. If that's the case, then they will give me steroids to help the baby's lungs mature in the event I do go into labor.
The reason why I'm so scared is that I lost baby jacob at 21 weeks. And I'm wondering if my body just wants to give way. There's absolutely nothing I can do with contractions or dilation because I know the body will do what it wants to do. So I have been praying diligently constantly that I don't. Doctor's say if the baby is born before 25 wks, there's nothing they can do. I'm praying that my baby girl is hanging in there and my body will be strong enough to hold until it's safe for her to be born. They are shooting for 28-30 weeks. Because the chances of survival are greater and less long term health problems for the baby. Preterm babies tend to have alot of health problems and we want to try to avoid that.
So I've been praying in milestone goals.
First is to make it long enough to receive treatment. 2 wks. Once she receives treatment then it takes 48 hrs to work.
Second milestone goal is 28-30 wks because it's what the dr's think best for chance of survival and less to no health problems.
Third milestone goal is 36 wks because that is when the cerclage stitch will be removed and safe for delivery without aid of any oxygen. The baby will be able to breathe on it's own and does not have to go to nicu. We so desire a healthy baby!
Well...as I'm writing this. My mother-in-law just arrived from the airport and they'll be home soon. She's coming down because my sis-in-law is due in a few weeks and she's come to help her. Once she leaves, hopefully my mom will be able to come down and help me. In the meanwhile I've been keeping myself busy like watching food network tv, writing in my prayer journal book, crocheting, baby scrapbooking (with all the ultra sound photos we have!), reading the bible daily, talking to friends and emailing of course.
I joked around with my hubby and friends and said my next profession in life is to be a specialist in Obgyn. I feel like I learned so much. Both my hubby and I agreed I should stick to what I already do which is design. I have great respect for the people at sidelines.org and grateful to Shaylene who checks in every once in awhile. I'm thankful for my bible study women's group and pastor/pastor's wife for keeping me in prayer. I'm thankful for you girls here in the blogosphere for also sending encouragements and thoughtful words to get my day by (Laura, Dawn, Michelle, Em, T, Wendy and anyone else I might have forgotten- thank you!). I'm thankful for my family and friends for always making sure I'm ok. I'm thankful for my husband, no matter how frustrating the situation is for both of us, he has been so patient and helpful during this period of bedrest. Most of all I'm thankful for God giving me the strength to take it day-by-day. Without my faith and trust in God, I don't think I can do this.
I'm continually praying that my cervix will stay closed and tight and that I won't go into contractions until it is safe for the baby to arrive in this world. Each day is a victory and a prayer answered. I am hopeful. I will keep everyone posted as I go to my dr's appt this Monday morning to get my cervix length checked.
Thank you again continually.

I have been thinking of and praying for you non-stop. I will be more specific in my prayers as I now know your personal milestones. You are doing a truly amazing job! Hopefully these next 10 days will not creep by. Thank you for updating us on how you are all doing!
ReplyDeleteI'm so relieved for you that things seem under control and now you can just rest and try to relax through all of this. I shared your story with my husband and he is sending his prayers for you. We both wish you and the baby the best. I cross my fingers and hope that sometime I too will have another pregnancy and now know, due to my pre-term labor before, that I will probably face bed rest as well. Anyway, it sounds like you've got the situation under control and you're doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. I don't have a blog (in reference to your previous comment). Again, congrats and hang in there!
hello my designer, warrior, strong friend... our hearts are with you...
ReplyDeletegod knows exacly what he is doing in u and around u. u are an encouragement, by faith, to this world. during trying times like these is when we are most alive...take courage. sometimes, facing the realities at hand can be overwhelming....you are not alone, we are a phone call or simple car trip away:). thank you for sharing your heart with us...we will continue to pray for your whole family!
praying...
ReplyDelete